Monday, February 16, 2009

the news is killing my buzz

October 5, 2007

Between the killer amoeba that's eating children's brains after swimming in Texas lakes and the old lady that died of West Nile here in Austin, I'm starting to fixate on all the possible ways my kids could die. Yesterday, I was driving in the car, singing happily to a mix CD while the babies gurgled at each other in the backseat. During a red light, I turned around and smiled at them and ruffled their hair, and then thought to myself, "what if we get slammed into by a semi right now and that's the last I see of my kids?". Buzzkill.

It's not a good sign when every cough is a prelude to pneumonia or a slight fever threatens meningitis. I've never been much of an alarmist when it comes to stuff like this, but I'm entering a new phase of paranoid parenthood and I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment